India-UAE Political Relations
India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) established diplomatic relations in 1972. While the UAE opened its Embassy in India in 1972, Indian Embassy in UAE was opened in 1973.
2. The traditionally strong bilateral relations enjoyed by India-UAE have received impetus with exchange of high-level bilateral visits from time to time. The visit of Prime Minister of India to UAE on 16-17 August 2015 marked the beginning of a new Comprehensive and Strategic partnership between the two countries. HH Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan (MBZ), then Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and now the President of the UAE, visited India in Feb 2016 and Jan 2017.
3. PM Shri Narendra Modi visited UAE for the second time in February 2018 for the 6th World Government Summit (WGS) in Dubai, where India was the Guest of Honour. He delivered the key note address at WGS and met HH Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum (MBR), Vice President and Prime Minister of UAE & Ruler of Dubai. The third visit by PM to the UAE was in August 2019 during which he received the UAE’s highest award, ‘Order of Zayed’ conferred upon him by the UAE President in April 2019. The visit also witnessed official launch of ‘RuPay Card’ in UAE and release of a set of stamps commemorating the 150th Birth Anniversary of Mahatma Gandhi.
4. In February 2022, a virtual summit took place between UAE President HH MBZ and PM Shri Narendra Modi during which the Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) and several other MoUs/Agreements were signed. During the virtual summit, both leaders also issued a Joint Vision document that will guide India-UAE strategic partnership in times to come. Both leaders also launched an India-UAE Joint Commemorative Stamp to mark 75 years of India’s Independence (Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav), 50 years of the formation of the UAE and 50 years of the India-UAE diplomatic relations.
5. The latest visit by PM to the UAE took place in June 2022 when PM stopped over by Abu Dhabi while returning from Munich, Germany after attending the G-7 summit. During this visit, PM was received by UAE President HH MBZ at the airport where PM conveyed his condolences on the demise of former President of the UAE Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan and he also congratulated HH MBZ on succeeding Sheikh Khalifa as the third President of the UAE.
6. The momentum generated by PM’s visits was sustained by back to back reciprocal visits at the level of Foreign Ministers. During the period 2014- 2019, External Affairs Minister of India visited the UAE thrice. Her last visit to the UAE was in March 2019 when she represented India at the 46th session of the Council of Foreign Ministers of Organisation of Islamic Organisation (OIC), where India was invited as “Guest of Honour” country by the UAE.
7. Current External Affairs Minister, Dr. S Jaishankar visited the UAE six times since May 2019. In November 2019, EAM visited UAE for the first time to attend the 10th Sir Bani Yas Forum. During the visit, he met with UAE Foreign Minister HH Sheikh Abdullah bin Zayed Al Nahyan (ABZ) as well as HH MBZ on the margins of the Forum. In November 2020, he came to the UAE on his first official visit when he met with the UAE Foreign Minister HH ABZ and had courtesy meetings with HH MBZ in Abu Dhabi and HH MBR in Dubai. In 2021, EAM first visited the UAE in April on a day long trip when he met HH ABZ where they reviewed the COVID-19 pandemic and cooperation between India and the UAE in this regard. In November 2021, he visited the UAE to attend Sir Bani Yas Forum in Dubai. During the visit, he also had meetings with HH ABZ and HH MBZ. In December 2021, he visited Abu Dhabi to attend the 5th Indian Ocean Conference and on the sidelines, he met with HH MBZ and HH ABZ.
8. In September 2022, EAM visited the UAE on a 3-day long trip during which he co-chaired the 14th Joint Commission Meeting (JCM) and the third Strategic Dialogue with HH ABZ. During the visit, he also met UAE President HH MBZ, interacted with the press and had a discussion on foreign policy with the Director General of Anwar Gargash Diplomatic Academy in Abu Dhabi.
9. In the last five years, the UAE Foreign Minister Sheikh Abdullah also visited India four times in June 2018, July 2019, February 2021 and in November 2022. In addition, Dr. Anwar Gargash visited India on 30 August 2021 and met EAM. During the meeting, they discussed latest regional and international developments and strategic issues of mutual concern. In October 2022, MoS (International Cooperation) Ms. Reem Al Hashimy led a delegation to participate in the Special meeting of the UNSC Counter Terror Committee in Mumbai and Delhi. During the meeting, she also met EAM.
10. Minister of Commerce and Industry (CIM) and Minister for Railways, Shri Piyush Goyal visited UAE in October, 2021 for the 9th meeting of the UAE-India High Level Joint Task Force on Investments (HLTFI). In October 2022, HH Sheikh Hamid bin Zayed Al Nahyan, the Managing Director of Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) visited Mumbai to attend the 10th meeting of HLTFI, co-chaired with CIM.
11. In November 2022, Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MoPNG) and Minister of Housing and Urban Affairs Shri Hardeep Singh Puri visited UAE to attend the Abu Dhabi International Petroleum Exhibition and Conference (ADIPEC) 2022. During the visit, he had bilateral meetings with UAE Energy Minister Suhail Al Mazroui, ADNOC CEO & UAE Climate Envoy Sultan Al Jaber and interacted with media channels besides inaugurating the India Pavilion at ADIPEC.
12. In December 2021, Health Minister Shri Mansukh Mandaviya visited the UAE and met with the UAE Minister of Health and Prevention Abdul Rahman Al Owais, Minister of State in MOFAIC Sheikh Shakbout Nahyan Al Nahyan and the CEO of Mubadala Health H J Al Nowais.
13. Parliamentary Cooperation: An Indian Parliamentary delegation led by Hon’ble Member of Parliament Shri Bhartruhari Mehtab for the Asian Parliamentary Assembly Standing Committee Meeting in Abu Dhabi in May 2017 met Dr. Amal Abdullah Al Qubaisi, Speaker of Federal National Council (FNC). During the meeting, Indian delegation invited the Speaker of FNC to visit India. A Parliamentary delegation by Speaker of Lok Sabha Shri Om Birla met with Saqr Ghobash, Speaker of the Federal National Council (FNC) on 9 September 2021 in Vienna on the sidelines of the Fifth World Conference of Speakers of Parliament. On invitation of Saqr Ghobash, Hon’ble Speaker visited UAE on 21-25 Feb 2022 with a delegation comprising six MPs - four from Lok Sabha and two from Rajya Sabha. During the visit, he met Saqr Ghobash, addressed an extraordinary session of FNC and had a courtesy meeting with HH MBZ.
14. Institutional Mechanism: India and UAE have following institutional mechanisms in place for addressing sector-specific issues.
Last updated in November 2022