Embassy of India
8th August, 2017
Strengthening of Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana
(Overseas Indians Insurance Scheme)
Government of India has revamped the mandatory insurance scheme, Pravasi Bharatiya Bima Yojana (PBBY), aimed at welfare of Indian emigrant workers who need Emigration Clearance for overseas employment. The strengthened scheme (PBBY,2017) will be effective w.e.f. August 1,2017.
A gazette notification and a comparative table indicating existing and revised provisions has been issued and is available in the below link:
Comparative table of existing and revised provisions of the scheme.
Salient provisions of the strengthened scheme are as follows:
- Maximum sum for which insured under the Scheme is Rs.10.00 lakhs in the event of accidental death or permanent disability leading to loss of employment while in employment abroad, irrespective of change of employer/location of insured person. Few other benefits at a nominal insurance premium of Rs. 275 and Rs. 375 for a period of two and three years respectively.
- Certification of accidental death or permanent disability by Indian Missions and Posts abroad shall be accepted by the insurance companies.
- Medical insurance cover including injuries / sickness / ailment / diseases enhanced to Rs.1,00,000/- (up to Rs. 50,000 per hospitalization).
- Repatriation cover for medically unfit/premature termination of employment: Actual one-way economy class air fare to the nearest international airport in India.
- Family Hospitalization in India enhanced to Rs. 50,000/-.
- Maternity benefit to women emigrants enhanced to Rs. 35,000/-.
- Return economy class air fare to the nearest international airport attendant in case of emigrant’s accidental death or permanent disability.
- Legal expenses on litigation related to emigrant’s overseas employment enhanced to Rs. 45,000/-.
- Provision for On-line renewal of PBBY policy.